There are times when stories require no names, just the human element that exists is enough to give credibility to its truthfulness. Such is the case of a man who needed a pair of size 25 shoes, and a Louisville shoemaker who sidestepped the big shoe manufacturers and stepped up to the plate to lend him assistance. The man with the large feet is a 7 ft. 8 in. giant who has suffered a lifetime of foot problems and had numerous surgeries. His pain level is prohibiting him from living a normal life.
People tend to take a lot for granted – shoes for example. Have you ever stopped to wonder what it would be like to live life without comfortable footwear?
What do shoes provide us with?
- Shoes allow you access to places. Remember, no shirt and no shoes means no service!
- Shoes protect you from the elements.
- Shoes protect you from puncture wounds and other traumas.
- Shoes support your feet and protect against the cumulative effects of wear and tear on your ligaments, tendons, muscles and bones.
- Shoes provide you with stability and flexibility to improve on biomechanical defects.
- Shoes protect your feet from infections and fungus.
- Shoes provide a barrier between your feet and other problems, such as parasites.
There are a multitude of foot disorders that can occur from not wearing shoes or wearing inappropriate or ill-fitting shoes. Such as the man mentioned above, it is not difficult to imagine how his feet probably got so big so fast it was nearly impossible to keep him in properly fitting shoes. His feet began to suffer the effects early, and now he has to live with the consequences. A comprehensive evaluation by a podiatrist would undoubtedly yield many disorders and abnormalities in spite of the corrective surgeries that have already taken place.
If your shoes are causing you pain, it’s time to go shopping. Our office can help you with suggestions for shoes that will help with your specific foot conditions. Contact the Hillsboro office at (503) 648-1713, the Newberg office at (503) 538-0466 or the Beaverton office at (503) 292-9252 for a complete foot examination. Our knowledge and expertise can help your feet navigate through life, and help repair damage that may be the result of shoe choices. To wear or not to wear, should not be in question. Take the right step today. Have your feet examined, and then get in the right shoes that will comfort your feet.
K.G. Gauntt, DPM